Use the Simple Past to express the idea that an action started and finished at a specific time in the past.
At the end of this webquest, you will learn:
- when to use the simple past
- how regular and irregular verbs change in the simple past
- the simple past in all its forms (affirmative, negative and interrogative)
1. Read the following text and find out regular and irregular past forms:
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was an Austrian musician and composer. He lived from 1756 to 1791. He started composing at the age of five years old and wrote more than 600 pieces of music. He was only 35 years old when he died.
2. Which is the rule of regular and irregular verbs?
3. What are the spelling rules of regular past forms?
4. Write down the affirmative form of the verb write in the simple past
5. Write down the negative form of the verb break in the simple past
6. Write down the interrogative form of the verb cut in the simple past
7. Which is the short answer in the simple past?
1. Translate the following sentences
1. Ho guardato la TV ieri sera ma non c'era niente di interessante
2. La Regina Elisabetta è nata nel 1926
3. Mrs Palmer è caduta ieri ma non si è fatta male
4. Mio fratello ha tagliato tutti gli alberi in giardino la settimana scorsa
5. - Hai studiato legge solo per un anno?- , - Si, poi ho smesso
6. Ho preso l'autobus ogni giorno per 5 anni e non l'ho mai perso
2. Put the verbs in the simple past
- Last year I _________(go) to England on holiday.
- It ___________(be) fantastic.
- I____________ (visit) lots of interesting places. I (be) with two friends of mine .
- In the mornings we _____________(walk) in the streets of London.
- In the evenings we __________ (go) to pubs.
- The weather ___________(be) strangely fine.
- It _____________(not / rain) a lot.
- But we _____________(see) some beautiful rainbows.
- Where ______________(spend / you) your last holiday?