While walking along the street on Saturday, you and your three friends look down and see a black wallet lying in the gutter. After opening the wallet, you see that it belongs to the famous Spaniard Antonio Banderas! A phone call to Antonio reveals that he is ecstatic that you found his wallet and is offering you and your friends a huge reward. The reward is based on one condition!
Antonio Banderas has given you and your three friends a trip to Spain to be taken two months from today. As a group, you will be given $20000 AUS. Your stay will be 9 days. During your trip, you will visit three cities and stay in each one for three nights.
Your journey will begin in either of the two largest cities in Spain: Madrid and Barcelona. From there, you will visit other cities, (eg Sevilla, Salamanca, Leon, Granada, Toledo, Cadiz, Valencia). After completing daily travel logs of your journey, your group will create a final presentation to be shared with the class.
- Each member of your four person group will choose a role. You need to fully assume the role of your character to succeed as a group. For more information, click on each of the roles listed below:
|Travel Agent||Arrange airfare and transportation (you will have to use either trains or buses once in the country); check weather; create a packing list; book youth hostels.|
|Culinary Expert||Research typical dishes and customs of a specific area; plan and budget where and when your group eats.|
|Activity Coordinator||Plan trips to museums, cultural events, athletic competitions, and musical performances. You will need to document your costs.|
|Trip Manager||Organise and manage the trip; buy souvenirs; decide if you will buy travel insurance. You must collate everyone's plans and budgets in a log book and ensure that everyone is working within the $20000 budget. (Remember that once in Spain you are spending Euros.)|
- After choosing your role, you and your group will select which city in Spain you will begin your journey: Barcelona or Madrid.
- From there, look at the map of Spain to decide which 3 cities you will visit while in Spain. Of course, you may visit more than three!
- As a group, estimate how much money you will need for youth hostels, transportation, souvenirs, activities, and food.
- Once your group's cities are selected, it's time for you to get to work. Refer back to your role for your individual process.
Your group will be evaluated three ways on the WebQuest:
1. Each group will submit a Travel Journal. The journal will contain a daily record of the trip, how much was spent in one day, and a reflection on how the trip is going so far.
2. Your whole group will create an itinerary. The itinerary will include an outline of the trip, including activities, time, hotels, and travel allowances. There should also be a daily total of money spent. All group members will contribute equally to the itinerary.
3. The final product will be a group presentation. The presentation will be a Power Point (or similar) presentation. The presentation will be a summary of your travel journey.
How long have you stayed in Spain? During your journey, you have hopefully seen famous museums, attended Spanish sporting events, dined in some great restaurants, and experienced the joys of the metro system. You have also learnt to budget money, exchange currency, and plan an itinerary. With your new-found experience, you are now ready for a real trip to Spain! ¡Viva España!