The election of 1860 was one of the most influential events in American and World history. This election eventually led to the First Wheeling convention. Throughout this WebQuest you will take a journey back in time to witness the rise of one of America's greatest presidents and one of the most important decisions in West Virginia's history.
Your task is to decide whether or not Abraham Lincoln is the best man for President, why the south felt it was their last straw to secede, and whether or not the Wheeling Convention was the appropriate response for western Virginia to take.
Follow the steps and West Virginia will be a state in no time!
Step 1: Follow this link that will lead you to a website with information and videos that explains the life and Presidential career of Abraham Lincoln.
After you research this website, answer the following questions:
1. What job did Lincoln have before he was President?
2. What was Lincoln's wife's name?
3. What political party was Lincoln apart of?
4. What was Lincoln's nickname?
5. Why was Fort Sumter so significant?
6. Who eventually won the Fort?
Step 2: Follow this link to find out all there is to know about the First Wheeling Convention.
1. When was the First Wheeling Convention held?
2. Who organized the meeting?
3. Why was is seen as revolutionary or illegal?
4. What was it meant to do?