People connect to their cultural or ethnic group through similar food patterns. People from different cultural backgrounds eat different foods. The ingredients, methods of preparation, preservation techniques and types of foods eaten in different meals vary among cultures. The areas where families live, and where their ancestors originated- influence food likes and dislikes. These foods preferences result in patterns of food choices within a cultural or regional group.
Nations or countries are generally associated with certain foods. For example,Italy is associated with pasta and pizza. Yet Italians eat many other foods and types of pasta dishes vary throughout Italy. Methods of preparation and types of food vary by regions of a nation.
Your task for this webquest is referred to the search of what is food is and its traditional and cultural features. Italian cuisine is strongly influenced by its own local history and traditions.
Your group (three students) will become expert in recognizing the main characteristics in specific areas, pointing out food as a stimulus to primordial forms of communications, conviviality and identification within the great culinary traditions.
You will write down a booklet on different features related to food and that contains such an information:
- The great international culinary traditions.
- How protecting local territory variety.
- Transferring knowledge and "know how" as extraordinary funds of cultural wealth.
- Healthy relationships with the territory and the local context of specific raw food materials aiming at the excellence of the ingredients.
- Recognizing ancient flavours renewd and revisited by the modern taste.
- Spreading the culture of taste and the art of good living through authentic food in authentic geographical areas.
In groups of three you will work together to learn more about meaningful gastronomic areas:
- Which are the most important international culinary areas influencing our concept of cooking?
- Group 1: The necessity to protect the local territorial food variety.Food culture and traditions- www.food-links.com
- Group 2: The most known and typical European foods.Traditional European Food from 14 countries-Hostelworlds; European Cuisine- European Culture- European Travel- travelfoodanddrink.com; What are some examples of typical European food? https://www.quora.com
- Group 3: Transmitting gastronomic traditionsThe sociology of food in society- https://books.google.it
- Group 4: The exaltation of raw food materials All about Raw food- Precision Nutrition; Feeding the World Today and Tomorrow; Physical Properties of food materials
Using the knowledge you gained during this activity, you can write down the conclusion and specify:
- your choices referred to the contents(e.g. the importance of keeping high the value of foods in our culinary traditions, respecting the gastronomic traditions of different foreign countries);
- your own difficulties when you tried to point out the main features acoording to such an extended and wide topic.
Once each group has completed the assigned part thanks to the use and to the exploitation of the links provided, the students can work together in order to create a complete search according to the topic assigned and that includes all the features requested!