You will now study two places in the world to assess their environmental quality and how this has impacted their liveability. You will study two places with greatly contrasting scales. Port Hedland, a small mining town in Western Australia; and Nakuru, a major tourist and industrial city in Kenya.
Your task is to answer the following questions in your books using the links provided.
1. You first need to find where Port Hedland and Nakuru are located in the world.
Find the longitude and latitude of Port Hedland and Nakuru.
Small town: Port Hedland
According to Environmental Justice Australia's 2014 report, Port Hedland is one of the most polluted towns in Australia. Port Hedland is a mining town on the northern coast of Western Australia.
2. Using the graphs on https://www.pilbaraports.com.au/Port-of-Port-Hedland
Identify the type and percentage of exports that Port Hedland trades with the world.
Read the newspaper article and list how the exports are affecting the environment in Port Hedland.
Cost of living
Read the newspaper article and identify the cost of the following in Port Hedland
a) Large Cafe Latte
b) Average weekly rent
5. Using the above article, why are workers choosing to fly in and fly out of Port Hedland rather than moving there?
Large city: Nakuru
Nakuru is the 4th largest town in Kenya, Africa. It is located in the Rift Valley Province at an altitude of 1859 metres above sea level.
1. Find the name of this famous tourist attraction in Nakuru
Nakuru has experienced dramatic population growth. In 1957 the population in Nakuru was 57 000.
2. Find the current population of Nakuru.
3. Read the newspaper article http://www.nation.co.ke/business/Nakuru-booms-as-its-population-surges-/996-1018124-f1496q/index.html
a) provide reasons for Nakuru's population increase
b) what is this population increase putting pressure on?
Identify the causes of pollution on Lake Nakuru
Housing and water
Outline the housing available in Nakuru.
PEEL Paragraph responses
1. Describe the factors reducing environmental quality of the town of Port Hedland and the city of Nakuru.
2. Justify which factors you think have the most impact on each place's environment.
3. Account for any similarities between the factors impacting Port Hedland and Nakuru.
Reflect upon how the liveability of these places might be improved.