Civil War Web Quest
Answer the following questions in complete sentences:
Section 1 – John Brown
- What was the goal of the Confederate forces?
- Describe the Sharp’s rifle.
- Which type of revolver did John Brown send 2,000 of to the Kansas Territory?
- What was a “slave collar” and what was it used for?
Section 2 – The Civil War Begins
- What percent of the popular vote did Lincoln win?
2. What oath did Lincoln claim in his inaugural address?
- What did Jefferson Davis have over Lincoln? (Background)
- What did the 1864 Campaign Ribbon say on it?
- What famous American was on the Great Seal of the Confederacy?
Section 3 – Battle of Bull Run
- Summarize the opening paragraph of this section.
- What is the Confederate Battle Flag known as?
Section 4 – Turning Points
1. List 2 facts for each battle:
- On what side was General William T. Sherman?
- Describe what is meant by Sherman’s March.
Section 5 – The War at Sea
- What were the Union’s two goals?
- What were the CSA’s two goals?
4. On March 9, 1862 the battle between Ironclads ________ and _______ was a dramatic turning point in the war at sea.
Section 6 – From Wilderness to Appomattox
- How many Union troops and Confederate troops fought in the Wilderness battle that lasted 44 days?
- Union à
- Confederate à
- Where did Grant attack in 1864 hoping to cut into the rail lines that sent supplies to Richmond?
- Where did Lee surrender?
- Who did Lee surrender to?
- How many Americans were killed and wounded?
- Killed à
- Wounded à
Section 7 -- Leaders
- When did Lincoln decide to free the Slaves in the south?
- On what date did the Emancipation Proclamation go into effect?
- Who did Lincoln name as General of the Union troops?
- Lincoln’s main opponent in the 1864 election was _____, who Lincoln replaced as General of the Army of the Potomac.
- Lincoln won reelection with _____% of the popular vote.
Section 8 – Military Leaders
- Who were the Generals of each side?
- Union à
- Confederacy à
- What job was the Confederate General offered before accepting that role?
- Read the section on Grants Field Glasses. Write down Lincoln’s quote regarding Grant.
- What famous quote did Rear Admiral David Farragut say during the Battle of Mobile Bay?
Section 9 – Soldiers in Blue and Gray
- Compare and Contrast the Union Infantry with the Confederate Infantry.
Please view the pictures in the rest of this section.
- Pick TWO of the most interesting artifacts and describe each.
- Describe the Confederate Spies in the “Cast of Characters section.”
Section 10 – Bloody Battles
- What is the minie ball?
- List 2 weapons and give a brief history of each.
- What is the Spotsylvania Tree Stump?
Section 11 – Legacy: Reconstruction
- What was Lincoln’s hope for after the war?
- Lincoln’s assassination:
- What profession was the shooter?
- What part of the body was he shot?
- Who succeeded Lincoln as President?
- What 3 Amendments were added to the US Constitution as a result of the Civil War?