ABQ BioPark Shark Discovery Day 2014
Shark Discovery Webquest
Jump into our Shark Discovery WebQuest and explore the mysterious world of sharks!
* Bring your poster to Shark Discovery Day at the ABQ BioPark Aquarium on July 26 from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. to recieve a 'jawsome' pin and certificate!*
First Steps - Before you create your display, brush up on your shark expertise! Check out these websites, games, and videos to find out more about sharks, and shark conservation.
- Biology - Dive into the world of sharks by exploring their biology. http://www.supportoursharks.com/en/Education/Biology.htm#Anchor
- Anatomy - See INSIDE a shark! http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/wild/shark-attack-experiment- live/interactives/great-white-anatomy/
- Infographic - Shark facts at a glance. http://www.history.com/interactives/sharks-infographic
- Kinds of Sharks - Learn how to identify sharks. http://www.shark.ch/Database/PhylogeneticTree/
- Desert Sharks - Check out the sharks at the ABQ BioPark Aquarium! http://www.cabq.gov/culturalservices/biopark/aquarium/exhibits/sharks/
Sharks and Humans:
- Why Sharks Matter - Discover the importance of sharks and the threats they face. http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/shark
- Sharkless Oceans - Watch this video to find out what might happen if there were no sharks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzlqXMateRE
- Game Time - Play 'Predator Protector' to experience the challenges sharks face in the wild. http://www.pbs.org/kqed/oceanadventures/funandgames/games.html
- Shark Myths - Are these shark 'facts' true, or is something fishy? http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/shark-week/lists/shark-myths.htm
- Test Your Smarts - Try out this short quiz to see how much you know about shark attacks. http://animals.howstuffworks.com/fish/sharks/shark-attack-quiz.htm
Next Steps - Challenge yourself! Test your knowledge with these quizzes to see if you are a shark genius. http://www.supportoursharks.com/en/Education/Shark_Quiz.htm#Anchor
Final Product - Your final product will be a display poster for the aquarium that teaches about sharks and shark conservation. Find more details in the Evaluation section coming up next.
Final Product: After you have reviewed your shark information you will be creating a display poster to leave at the aquarium. Your poster will help us teach about sharks and shark conservation!
- Posters are no longer being accepted at the Aquarium - share yourws with your family or class and spread the word about sharks!
Your display should have:
- A catchy shark conservation message or slogan
- Eye-catching graphics or pictures
- Information about sharks and their importance to ocean ecosystems
- A clear connection to the theme of sharks and shark conservation
- Dimensions that are no larger than 22" X 28"
Your display should NOT have:
- Your personal information
- Copied and pasted or copyright protected images or text
- Spelling mistakes or inappropriate language
Extra Help: More information and some inspiration to get you started -
- Information on copyright laws/ rules http://www.copyrightkids.org/
- Example of an 'infographic' that could be used as a model for an informational display http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/shark-week/save-the-sharks/shark-conservation-infographic.htm
- Shark poster made in a classroom http://smartchickteacher.wordpress.com/2012/10/17/shark-question-posters/#jp-carousel-593
- Example of a catchy slogan and lots of information on a display/ poster http://www.supportoursharks.com/en/Pictures/infographics/shark-count-infographic.jpg
Thank you for taking the time to complete this webquest and learn more about sharks! To dive deeper check out: